50 years of Strunk and White

Or...rather...50 years of bad grammar advice!

I was reading this article on the Chronicle of Higher Ed a few weeks back and I didn't get an opportunity to fully savor it, so I re-read it.

As a typical American undergraduate student Strunk and White was a required book, a style manual that we had to abide by. I remember really disliking my English 101 and 102 classes, but I don't remember why. Perhaps Strunk and White was one of the reasons - I have completely blocked the experience from memory it seems :-)


In any case, the article was QUITE interesting and I recommend that you read it, even if you are not that much into writing or grammar or linguistics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discussion forums in MOOCs are counter-productive...well, sort of...

Academic Facepalm (evaluation edition)

Latour: Third Source of Uncertainty - Objects have agency too!