Cut....and Paste. Cut!....and Paste!



The title of this blog post should be read with the same annunciation as the 'iron and sulfur' skit in Strindberg and helium. I need to find a way to incorporate Utterli into the blog.

Anyway, I digress. I saw this follow up PhD comic strip and it reminded me very much about how I go about writing papers.

First I go to TextEdit and I outline my sections. Then I got into word and I create styles for the headings, subheadings, and body for the text. I add in some Lorem Ipsum text to act as placeholder for what I will write. Then copy...and paste. Copy! and Paste...so that the dummy text + dummy headings are as many as the sections as I have to write. Then I add a bibliography section plus a cover page + table of contents for good measure.

Once I am done I have a complete skeleton for my paper. Too bad that Lorem Ipsum text won't suffice for the paper heh :-)

This method helps me focus when writing long papers. What kind of a writer are you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Discussion forums in MOOCs are counter-productive...well, sort of...

Academic Facepalm (evaluation edition)

Latour: Third Source of Uncertainty - Objects have agency too!